I was talking to some students the other day about why is it that some people end up being good cooks and why others end up being not so good. The understanding we all agreed on was that cooking is a skill and as with any skill, some people manage to excel whilst others struggle.
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.”
by ~Bruce Lee~
by ~Bruce Lee~
You may be wondering what trust has to do with language learning. I am here to tell you that it has everything to do with it. It is one of the qualities we talk about as being essential to great relationships. It is also one of the qualities that I would suggest is essential to
Morning. Latte, cappuccino, chai latte, frappucino – choices, choices and never enough time to think about what you really want. Best stick with the usual, one Americano, please (how exciting). Afternoon. Emails, projects, tasks, meetings and bosses! Which one to tackle first, who comes next and what has to wait? Decisions, decisions. Energy and time
I was struck recently from the experience I had when I attended a conference (IATEFL) for English language teachers in Hungary that a key factor in learning another language is the mindset you bring to it, more than anything else. I had the good fortune to meet there not only local teachers and ones from
I have written quite extensively on the importance of listening in learning languages in a number of posts, as I believe this skill lies at the heart of being a good language learner. Many students understand this so they look for listening exercises to help them improve their listening. Teachers also understand it so they
Here is the proof that some people might need to help them believe what I and others have been saying, namely that it is possible to reach native like levels in another language. With enough practice, some learners of a second language can process their new language as well as native speakers, research at the
Most language learning resources or materials are not for the advanced learners. Nor is it what language teachers usually talk about. There is quite a bit for those intending to study or for those going for tests (TOEFL, IELTS, etc), but as far as helping take you to the really high levels in a language,
There are many reasons why so many people struggle to learn a second language, however if I was asked to pick a key one, my choice would be the lack of “engagement”. So much of learning a language revolves around beliefs about studying, memorisation, grammar and drilling. This emphasis just does not work for most
Learning language can be more like playing a game than most people think. Games are by their nature interesting and engaging so players tend to devote a lot of time to them and get a lot of pleasure from them. So if we could make it more like a game, there would be many advantages.
I have been exploring what holds language learners back and what can be done to move forward so they can produce the outcomes that all of us are capable of, since I started this site, some 3 years ago. One issue I have skirted about but not dealt with head on is the issue of
- Vietnamese Learning English Pronunciation
- Language Teachers' Main Concern
- Language Learners' Main Concern
- Can you learn a new language by watching movies?
- Importance of Feedback in Language Learning
- The Surprising Power of Pronunciation
- Proof you can reach native like levels in another language
- Language Learning for Advanced Learners
- Importance of Engagement in Language Learning
- What To Do To Ensure You Keep Progressing Your Language Learning
- Homework That Helps to Improve Your Language Learning
- 5 Habits of Successful Language Learners
- The Dangers of Language Classes and Courses
- Watching Movies to Learn Language
- Using Your Intuition To Power Your Language Learning
- Language Learning Games
- Mistakes and Language Learning
- A Seldom If Ever Talked About Way Of Becoming A Better Language Learner
- Learning Language Through Reading
- Improving Language Learning Listening Skills
- Habits in Language Learning
- Language Learning and New Year Resolutions
- What Are Really Good Ways to Improve Your English
- Vocabulary Learning in a Second Language
- Mistakes to Avoid to Successfully Learn a Foreign Language
- Are Language Exercises a Good Language Learning Strategy?
- How to Improve Conversation Skills IS Important for Language Learning
- How Not to Learn Pronunciation!
- How To Improve Pronunciation
- Steve Job's Approach to Language Learning!
- Staying Motivated Whilst Learning A Language Is Critical!
- How to Improve Your Pronunciation - Part 2
- Effective Grammar Practice
- What You Believe Is What You Are Going To Get
- How to Improve Pronunciation – Part 1
- How to Remember Vocabulary
- What Makes an Exceptional Language Teacher?
- Awareness in Language Learning
- Successful Language Learning
- Mistakes Are Your Friend
- Language Learning Techniques