I had the pleasure recently of being interviewed by Sylvia Guinan on the role of empathy in language learning in Teacher Appreciation week. The interview with me formed part of a 2 hr session on WizIQ with various language experts from around the world, which explored the role of empathy in language learning. In the
“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.”
There is no doubt about the importance of having a sense of one’s own preferred language learning style when deciding how to learn a language. Whilst there is clearly some truth in the assertion that different people can have different learning styles and we have to pay attention to that in deciding what is the
What can we learn from the infants experience? Maybe you have thought about the question – “Why is it that nearly all infants, barring the very few with some chemical or physical issue, learn to speak their mother tongue(s) to the level of their peers and only a few years later these figures get reversed?”
If you are finding your language learning is going more slowly than you wish, or not being as effective as you would have hoped, read on and find a key you can use to open the door to help you discover the best way of learning a language for you. The vast majority of people
You may be wondering what empathy has got to do with language learning. Well, just suspend your judgment for a minute or two and read on to see its importance to any serious language learner. What I talk about here you may see more relevant to an immersion environment, however I believe that if looked
The ways we learn languages can affect our sense of freedom. Speaking a language is an inherently creative act through which we express who we are. We have endless ways of saying what we want to say in our mother tongue. It is our choice how we say what we want to say, or not,
There are a variety of factors that can affect the question of how to learn a language effectively. One of the critical factors is the role of awareness in language learning and how noticing (an outcome of awareness) plays a crucial. I want to explore now how you can actually turn something you have noticed into
Listen to the podcast below (an interview with Dr. Piers Messum) and discover valuable insights as to how we stress and reduce vowel sounds in English. This understanding and the resultant techniques talked about have the potential to transform the successes you have as a learner in mastering the unique demands of the English language.
So you maybe wondering why guessing is so important in language learning. Especially when your experience may well have been similar to mine. I recall in my schooling some of my teachers were quite dismissive about students guessing answers. Looking back I can now see why they may well have been mistaken in their attitude.
Noticing what we are doing while we are learning a language, its impacts on others as well as ourselves is a key to language learning. As to be expected many language learners, to a large degree, rely upon how they have been taught to learn a language. However most language teaching practices seem to concentrate
- Vietnamese Learning English Pronunciation
- Language Teachers' Main Concern
- Language Learners' Main Concern
- Can you learn a new language by watching movies?
- Importance of Feedback in Language Learning
- The Surprising Power of Pronunciation
- Proof you can reach native like levels in another language
- Language Learning for Advanced Learners
- Importance of Engagement in Language Learning
- What To Do To Ensure You Keep Progressing Your Language Learning
- Homework That Helps to Improve Your Language Learning
- 5 Habits of Successful Language Learners
- The Dangers of Language Classes and Courses
- Watching Movies to Learn Language
- Using Your Intuition To Power Your Language Learning
- Language Learning Games
- Mistakes and Language Learning
- A Seldom If Ever Talked About Way Of Becoming A Better Language Learner
- Learning Language Through Reading
- Improving Language Learning Listening Skills
- Habits in Language Learning
- Language Learning and New Year Resolutions
- What Are Really Good Ways to Improve Your English
- Vocabulary Learning in a Second Language
- Mistakes to Avoid to Successfully Learn a Foreign Language
- Are Language Exercises a Good Language Learning Strategy?
- How to Improve Conversation Skills IS Important for Language Learning
- How Not to Learn Pronunciation!
- How To Improve Pronunciation
- Steve Job's Approach to Language Learning!
- Staying Motivated Whilst Learning A Language Is Critical!
- How to Improve Your Pronunciation - Part 2
- How to Remember Vocabulary
- What Makes an Exceptional Language Teacher?
- Awareness in Language Learning
- Successful Language Learning
- Mistakes Are Your Friend
- Language Learning Techniques