Does it really matter what I decide to learn next? One of the key issues that many learners overlook or don’t adequately resolve is “What do I work on next?”. This question is more important than you may suppose as what you decide on may set you up for success, or maybe for a much
“Freedom and life are earned by those alone who conquer them each day anew.”
by ~Johann Wolfgang Goethe~
by ~Johann Wolfgang Goethe~
There certainly is a perception “out there” that language learning is difficult. With the prevalence of that belief, one would think there must be some truth to that perception. In fact you can even find hard data to “prove” that belief. Of course one should not jump to hasty conclusions and believe that what we
An often heard lament of language learners is, “Oh my memory is letting me down”. Is that really the case, or is there something else at work that gives the appearance that memory is the problem but in fact there are causes which are not so obvious? I have just brought out an Ebook on
Most people like to play, kids especially, even though there might be a few who might think it too frivilous! (Must be a very serious person! 🙂 ). However I am not sure what these people would make on Albert Einstein’s view on it – “Play is the highest form of research” Better understanding play
What is driving your language learning, the meaning or the language? This might seem like an odd question, but I believe the answer to this may help you understand how you may be able to improve your language learning. There are many language learners who I have come across concentrate on learning the new language.
I was talking to some students the other day about why is it that some people end up being good cooks and why others end up being not so good. The understanding we all agreed on was that cooking is a skill and as with any skill, some people manage to excel whilst others struggle.
You may be wondering what trust has to do with language learning. I am here to tell you that it has everything to do with it. It is one of the qualities we talk about as being essential to great relationships. It is also one of the qualities that I would suggest is essential to
Morning. Latte, cappuccino, chai latte, frappucino – choices, choices and never enough time to think about what you really want. Best stick with the usual, one Americano, please (how exciting). Afternoon. Emails, projects, tasks, meetings and bosses! Which one to tackle first, who comes next and what has to wait? Decisions, decisions. Energy and time
I was struck recently from the experience I had when I attended a conference (IATEFL) for English language teachers in Hungary that a key factor in learning another language is the mindset you bring to it, more than anything else. I had the good fortune to meet there not only local teachers and ones from
I have written quite extensively on the importance of listening in learning languages in a number of posts, as I believe this skill lies at the heart of being a good language learner. Many students understand this so they look for listening exercises to help them improve their listening. Teachers also understand it so they
- Vietnamese Learning English Pronunciation
- Language Teachers' Main Concern
- Language Learners' Main Concern
- Can you learn a new language by watching movies?
- Importance of Feedback in Language Learning
- The Surprising Power of Pronunciation
- Proof you can reach native like levels in another language
- Language Learning for Advanced Learners
- Importance of Engagement in Language Learning
- What To Do To Ensure You Keep Progressing Your Language Learning
- Homework That Helps to Improve Your Language Learning
- 5 Habits of Successful Language Learners
- The Dangers of Language Classes and Courses
- Watching Movies to Learn Language
- Using Your Intuition To Power Your Language Learning
- Language Learning Games
- Mistakes and Language Learning
- A Seldom If Ever Talked About Way Of Becoming A Better Language Learner
- Learning Language Through Reading
- Improving Language Learning Listening Skills
- Habits in Language Learning
- Language Learning and New Year Resolutions
- What Are Really Good Ways to Improve Your English
- Vocabulary Learning in a Second Language
- Mistakes to Avoid to Successfully Learn a Foreign Language
- Are Language Exercises a Good Language Learning Strategy?
- How to Improve Conversation Skills IS Important for Language Learning
- How Not to Learn Pronunciation!
- How To Improve Pronunciation
- Steve Job's Approach to Language Learning!
- Staying Motivated Whilst Learning A Language Is Critical!
- How to Improve Your Pronunciation - Part 2
- How to Remember Vocabulary
- What Makes an Exceptional Language Teacher?
- Awareness in Language Learning
- Successful Language Learning
- Mistakes Are Your Friend
- Language Learning Techniques