For thousands of years, the 4 minute mile was considered not only physically IMPOSSIBLE, but according to doctors of the time – actually dangerous to the health of anyone who attempted it. So breaking that barrier proved too much for runners for centuries. But then on May 6th, 1954 a 25-year-old medical student named Roger
I think by now most people who are connected to the media in someway would know about the passing of one of the great men of our times, possibly of all times, Nelson Mandela. There has been a lot written about him as a person and what made him so great. I do not wish
Many language learners set out and do achieve a certain level but somehow end up getting stuck at a level before their hopes have been realized. This can also be called plateauing or, if you plateau for LONG time, some language teachers talk about this as fossilizing! Now who would want to fossilize? 🙂 No
Over the years I have seen so many students waste countless hours on language learning homework which really has little likelihood of helping them to produce the results they are looking for. There are some people who could learn a language doing virtually anything but most people need to be more careful if they are
Anecdotally, there seems to be a lot of talk about how having a lover in the target language can do wonders for your language. So why is that? I am of course not advocating that you rush out to find one! 🙂 In fact, many of you of course will not be able to do
There is a widespread agreement by those who have looked at success that there is a lot we can learn from how other people achieved success in various fields. Clearly language learning has specific nuances and needs, but there are also many parallels we can find. In my recently released book, Language Learning Unlocked, I
Dangers of Language Classes Saying that language classes or courses can be “dangerous” may cause a few ripples amongst my peers but I firmly believe that is is the case. By the time you get to the end of this post, you may start thinking the same. Just as you can go to a doctor and
There are really a lot of different ways to learn languages. Of the ones that work, and not all do so well, there are some common threads that can be extracted. I recently came across this comment made on a site that I wish to quote here in its entirety and see what we can
As I have mentioned before reading can be used to learn the grammar of the language you are learning. However you can learn other things whilst you are reading. Most people read for meaning and vocabulary but in reality there are other things you can learn by reading. I recently conducted a training for English
Discover how to dramatically improve your language learning ability Have you ever wondered why it is that all of us learned our first language with seeming effortless ease, while most of struggle learning a subsequent language. We struggle so much in fact that something like 95% of those who set out to do it give
- Vietnamese Learning English Pronunciation
- Language Teachers' Main Concern
- Language Learners' Main Concern
- Can you learn a new language by watching movies?
- Importance of Feedback in Language Learning
- The Surprising Power of Pronunciation
- Proof you can reach native like levels in another language
- Language Learning for Advanced Learners
- Importance of Engagement in Language Learning
- What To Do To Ensure You Keep Progressing Your Language Learning
- Homework That Helps to Improve Your Language Learning
- 5 Habits of Successful Language Learners
- The Dangers of Language Classes and Courses
- Watching Movies to Learn Language
- Using Your Intuition To Power Your Language Learning
- Language Learning Games
- Mistakes and Language Learning
- A Seldom If Ever Talked About Way Of Becoming A Better Language Learner
- Learning Language Through Reading
- Improving Language Learning Listening Skills
- Habits in Language Learning
- Language Learning and New Year Resolutions
- What Are Really Good Ways to Improve Your English
- Vocabulary Learning in a Second Language
- Mistakes to Avoid to Successfully Learn a Foreign Language
- Are Language Exercises a Good Language Learning Strategy?
- How to Improve Conversation Skills IS Important for Language Learning
- How Not to Learn Pronunciation!
- How To Improve Pronunciation
- Steve Job's Approach to Language Learning!
- Staying Motivated Whilst Learning A Language Is Critical!
- How to Improve Your Pronunciation - Part 2
- How to Remember Vocabulary
- What Makes an Exceptional Language Teacher?
- Awareness in Language Learning
- Successful Language Learning
- Mistakes Are Your Friend
- Language Learning Techniques